I've shared my kitchen plans with you before on the blog, what seems like forever ago. Basically, they were a hot mess and I'm changing everything. I've been putting off re-doing the kitchen for several reasons, budget being at the top of the list. When I realized that I could accomplish my vision with not much money, I made excuses about not having enough time. I stood in the kitchen this weekend, staring at everything that I hated, and decided that enough was enough. I'm a lady on a mission now.
In case you need a refresher, here's an OLD photo of part of my kitchen. I don't take many pictures because it's not pretty, and (up until this weekend) I hadn't done much to the space. I actually started painting the cabinets yesterday, and in my rush to begin (on a mission, I tell you), It looks pretty much like this now, less the beige walls.
And here are my plans for the space! I'm treating myself like a client and forcing myself to live by a design board. I know I would change my mind several times and this gives me a clear idea of where I'm going.
1. I plan on replacing our bar with some sort of marble. I have a few people looking for a scrap to cut because it's such a small space and I'm trying to keep the cost low!
2. I love bistro chairs. I'm looking for similar ones for the breakfast nook.
3. I'm asking Santa for a Hicks Pendant. For the next three Christmases.
4. We're planning on installing butcher block countertops, probably from Ikea. They just got new ones in stock (anyone seen them in person?) so we're going to check them out this weekend.
5. We're going to install white subway tile with dark gray grout. Love.
6. H and I would like to install vinyl tile in the kitchen to help keep the costs low, but also because it's so, so easy. We ran into a few stumbling blocks with our foundation when we installed our flooring downstairs, so I think the vinyl is the way to go!
7. Two words: brass. hardware.
8. I would love to find an old china cabinet or secretary that I can paint glass and store large dishes in. I would put this in the breakfast nook!
9. I'm on the hunt for a Persian or Kilim rug to run down the center of the kitchen.
I already decided that I want to paint the base cabinets "Kendall Charcoal" by Benjamin Moore. I'm putting the second coat on tomorrow! I'll be sure to share my process with you when I'm finished. Here's a few inspiration photos of kitchens that used Kendall Charcoal!
I'm also trying to decide between "Snowfall White" by Benjamin Moore...
...or "White Dove" by Benjamin Moore.
What do you think? I am so excited to have the cabinets finished. I know it will light a fire under me to finish the rest of the kitchen!